Monday, August 15, 2011

Vegetables on Steroids!

Heaven only knows that I am NOT a master gardener of any sort,
but miraculously, we have had a fairly successful little vegetable garden
for the past few summers anyway. Our girls love fresh vegetables!

This year, my mom saw a different variety of radish and thought it would be fun
for the girls to plant them. They are called "watermelon radishes" because they are
green on the outside and red on the inside, just like a watermelon.

We planted the seeds in early June, and within just a few weeks, we started seeing lots of green!
I had no idea that radishes need to be thinned out once they start growing, so I left them alone as they got bigger. All of our red radishes were a huge success, but the watermelon radishes were not growing well at all because they were too squished.

The girls were disappointed that I had messed up so bad, and out of frustration, I left the darn things in the ground and decided I would deal with them later.

Carsyn and I went out one afternoon and decided just to pull the watermelon radishes out. We had no idea what had taken place over the past few weeks . . .

The radishes had more than tripled in size! We ended up with a few that weighed in
at around two pounds! That is A LOT of radish!


It has been fun to enjoy the "fruits of our labors" this year. We are always proud of anything
we manage to grow . . . and not destroy!

I had to throw this one in for fun - we picked all of this in just one day,
and ate it as fast as we picked it!
YUM!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Nice job! Our garden might have succeeded this year if it weren't for our stupid dog (whom we love, of course) ripping half the plants out for his joy and entertainment. I'll just have to envy your garden instead!

Jill Heaps said...

Those veggies look amazing! I love that your kids love to eat it too!